Here are some recommended places to eat that the locals like!
We didn't pick any favorites in this section because it is ALL "ONO' (delicious). However, some recommendations are: Pipikaula, chicken long rice, lau lau, TRY some poi, and kalua pig, of course!
- Helena's Hawaiian Food - CASH ONLY www.helenashawaiianfood.com/index.html
- Highway Inn - Kakaako www.myhighwayinn.com/location-kakaako
- The Willows Restaurant http://willowshawaii.com/
- Nico's Pier 38 http://nicospier38.com/
- Da Hawaiian Poke Company http://www.dahawaiianpokecompany.com/
- Uncle's Fish Market & Grill www.unclesfishmarket.com/menu/
- Fresh Catch *if you love poke, this is the place for you!! http://www.freshcatch808.com/
Plate Lunch / Local Food
A plate lunch, in Hawaii, consists of two scoops rice, mac salad, and an entree or combo it up with two-three types of protein.
- Rainbow Drive-In *a MUST VISIT if you're in the neighborhood http://rainbowdrivein.com/
- Side Street Inn *definitely a 'local' favorite...try the pork chop! http://sidestreetinn.com/
- Yama's Fish Market http://yamasfishmarket.com/menu.html
- Zippy's has locations all over the island http://zippys.com/
- The Alley Restaurant at Aiea Bowl YES! Located in a Bowling alley!! http://www.aieabowl.com/the-alley-restaurant/
- Liliha Bakery *best known for their cocoa puffs and has 2 locations; Diner is open 24 hours except Mondays. Nimitz location much larger and has a great breakfast! http://lilihabakeryhawaii.com/
- Kamehameha Bakery *POI DONUTS!! http://www.kamehamehabakeryhi.com/
- Dee Lite Bakery (St.Germain Bakery with multiple locations around the island) *Guava Chiffon cake http://www.stghi.com/location-dillingham.htm
- Leonard's Malasadas *first malasadas (Portuguese donut covered with sugar) sold in Hawaii https://www.leonardshawaii.com/menu/
- YogurStory *Prime Rib loco moco, Ube Pancakes, Chantilly Waffles only serves breakfast & lunch. http://www.yogurstory.com/about.do
- Cinnamon's *Guava Chiffon Pancakes, Hawaiian Omelet *2 locations on Oahu - Kailua and in the 'Ilikai (hotel) say hello to Aunty Carsi at the 'Ilikai location, tell her Dale from Portland sent you! http://www.cinnamons808.com/
- Heavenly *serves organic ingredients whenever possible. If you lead an extremely healthy lifestyle, this place is for YOU! http://www.heavenly-waikiki.com/
- Giovanni's Shrimp Truck *Shrimp Scampi & "No Refunds Hot & Spicy" are faves of the locals http://giovannisshrimptruck.com/menu.php
- Pau Hana Market Waikiki located at 234 Beach Walk. There are multiple food trucks set up at this location.
- Romy's Kahuku Prawns & Shrimp *shrimp and prawns are harvested daily! http://romyskahukuprawns.org/
- Mike's Huli Chicken *2 locations, the original one in Kaneohe is worth a stop if you're on the Windward side of the island. Hawaii's rotisserie chicken! http://www.mikeshulichicken.com/locationsu/
- Matsumoto Shave Ice
- Island Snow
- Waiola Shave Ice